Add some shabby home decor with this easy You And Me Wooden Heart Block made from leftover scrap wood. (Supply list at the bottom of the post)
I got my inspiration for this “You And Me Wooden Heart Block” from Betsy at “My Salvaged Treasures”. I may not have the vintage brass lamp banding, but I do have wood, paint, and a old wrought iron key.
To Make This You and Me Wooden Heart Block
- Start by staining your wood block, let dry thoroughly.
- Then paint the front and all four edges of your wood block with crackle paint. It does not need to be completely covered, adds to the rustic charm. Let dry.
- Add one coat of white acrylic paint to the front, and edges of your wooden heart block. Try not to go over the same area twice. As it dries it will make the crackle effect.
- Once your wooden block is thoroughly dry draw a heart on your wood block. Add two coats of pink acrylic paint letting each coat dry thoroughly.
- Using a darker pink float around the edge of the heart.
- You can either distress your wooden heart block now by lightly sanding the block. (Or you can wait to sand it after you add your wording, and detail work).
- Add any detail work, and the words “you and me”, or wording of your choice.
- Make a shabby flower by twisting and rolling a strip of muslin, and hot gluing as you go until you get the desired size.
- Cut some strips of muslin, and jute in different lengths to add to the shabby appearance.
- Add the wrought iron key to one of the strips of fabric, then gather all ends together and wrap a piece of wire around the ends to hold them all together.
- Drill a hole in the top left side of your wood block, squirt some glue in the drilled hole, then place the wire end of your fabric strips into the hole.
- Hot glue your fabric flower to the top of the fabric strips.
Adding A Shabby Fabric Flower
* That it! Now how easy was that? How do you like my You And Me Wooden Heart Block?
* You can find Betsy’s Rustic heart love here.
- Wood Block approximately 8″x10″x2″
- Wrought Iron Key
- Crackle Paint
- Pink acrylic paint
- White acrylic paint
- Drill and bits (This is like my drill)
- Wood Glue
- Muslin fabric
- Hot glue
- Paint brushes
- Craft wire