Here is the message board that I made from a old vintage mirror frame that I picked up at a garage sale a few weeks back. I wish that I had taken pictures as I made it. But thats ok, I will walk you through how I made it.
1) First I took the mirror off.
2) I loved the color of paint that was already on the frame, so all I did was dry brush a little bit more white paint onto the frame.
3) I cut a piece of thin wood to fit into the back of the frame.
4) I put the piece of wood into the back and then drew off the squares where the chalkboards were going to be. Then removed the back piece.
5) First I painted the squares with white gesso, then I put four coats of chalkboard paint, letting each coat dry throughly. I left one blank to paint a picture in that square.
6) Now it’s time to put the back on the frame.
7) Measure the blocked area where the cork board is going.(I bought cork tiles from Lowe’s, it was a lot cheaper. Around $8.99 for four 12×12′ tiles.) Then cut the tiles to size.
8) Lay the cork board you cut on top of the fabric of your choosing. Cut fabric about an inch larger than the cork board.
9) Now fold fabric edges over back of cork board and hot glue down. One edge at a time pulling tight enough to fit snug around cork.
10) Now hot glue or use little stickers that come with cork tiles to place tiles in designated squares.
11) Lastly I painted the picture of a cat in that square.
All done! Now wasn’t that easy? How do you like it? Do you have a message center that you have made? If so, I would love to see it.
Check out my Fish and chicken chalkboards made on old shingles.